When Roy is hired, he brings with him decades of experience as a writer, communication expert, executive producer, large and small meeting facilitator, speaker, performance and presentation coach, trainer, video reporter, radio interviewer and voice over.
What ever is required to help you deliver the best possible result for your meeting or communication is included in his previously agreed fee.
Roy is proactive and easy to work with. He is full of practical ideas that will help you engage with your audience in appropriate and relevant ways.
Whatever skills are required to help you deliver the best possible result, all this experience and all these skills are available to you within his fee. Once his responsibilities and fee have been agreed, there is no running ‘meter’ or any ‘extras’.
Roy is renowned for his focused, yet relaxed, informal, entertaining and engaging style.
Professional Online TV Presenter and Producer
With decades of live BBC TV experience, Roy is regularly asked to present LIVE online TV shows: often to accompany or run alongside virtual conferences and congresses. For examples and to see how he can help you, please visit his other website www.ProOnlineTV.com
Roy is a master MC and facilitator at large and smaller international conferences. Whether the audience is 100, 6,300 (Barcelona in 2016) or even 9,000 (Las Vegas 2008) Roy is equally at home chairing complex panel discussions, interviewing senior executives, expertly and seamlessly using event technology and engaging with audience members.
Roy brings events to life with his humour, energy and most importantly, his deep knowledge of the issues and challenges being faced by the assembled group. He always represents the ‘conscience’ of his audiences.
When English is not the attendees’ first language he instinctively adjusts the pace of his delivery. And has a finely developed ‘radar’ to pick up on comments from speakers and contributors which could be misunderstood; either accidentally or deliberately! He has a knack of being able to repeat key points using different vocabulary as additional help for non-native English speakers.
Some of his facilitation clients
Roy has worked as an international facilitator for some of the world’s largest and most respected organisations. He has been asked back time and again to moderate ‘private’ conferences for the Olympic movement held in Lausanne, Beijing and Rio de Janeiro. He has moderated conferences for the world’s largest trade association – the ICSC (International Council of Shopping Centers) in Rome, Dubai, Cape Town, Istanbul, New York and their flagship event RECON in Las Vegas (attended by 53,000 delegates).
The European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) hold an annual congress attended by 6,000+. Roy was MC/facilitator and a workshop speaker in Hamburg (2015), Barcelona (2016), Vienna (2017). Dusseldorf (2018), Barclona (2019), Vienna (Oct 2020)
Expert High-Stakes, Small Meeting Facilitation
No matter why you are holding a small or large meeting that includes genuine discussion and dialogue, it often pays to bring in a well-briefed, experienced external facilitator like Roy to keep everyone focused and moving forward towards a common goal. When the stakes are high – Roy can be trusted to guide the discussions and deliver the desired results.
- 2 day strategy meeting for the ZimmerBiomet Institute to help develop a 5 year medical education plan following the integration of Zimmer and Biomet.
- Five annual 2 day technology meetings with HP’s most important CTO (Chief Technology Officer) EMEA clients to discuss highly complex, business and technical challenges.
- Roy is particularly adept at facilitating meetings where there’s an ‘elephant in the room’ that needs ‘managing’.
- So, if you have a meeting or conference which may (or should) include some ‘difficult’ conversations, but you or your senior team are afraid to address them, Roy can help you. And then guide everyone during the event. Roy has worked on conferences and meetings that were highly-charged – such as mass redundancies, hostile mergers and other ‘bad news’ scenarios.
Speaker/ Workshop Leader/Trainer
Most of Roy’s clients repeatedly book him primarily as their facilitator/MC.
However, at no extra charge Roy offers to give keynote and workshop lectures and training sessions on a variety of relevant business, personal and career development topics. In some cases, a session that is outside Roy’s area of expertise can be held with Roy leading it as a facilitated discussion.
These are the most popular topics Roy is asked to deliver:
- Meet Greet & Prosper – a ‘keynote’ at the opening of any conference where with networking is an important element of your conference. This session is deliberately structured to ensure every attendee meets at least 4-5 new people. Roy is the leading European expert on this topic and his talk is fun, engaging, interactive and inspiring. He is also the author of the short eBook “Meet Greet & Propser” which this talk is based on.
- Presentation Skills Masterclass. This interactive workshop/training session lifts the lid on how professional speakers design, structure and deliver engaging, entertaining and inspirational presentations.
- “How to be Upbeat in a Downbeat World”. Stress is everywhere. And its constant. How do you deal with it? This thought-provoking session provides practical strategies and techniques to help you develop resilience and manage/enhance your personal energy (without any artificial stimulants!)
Meeting Designer/Executive Producer
A conveyor belt of dull, uninspiring speakers still seems to be the norm. The CEO/MD first, followed by the finance director with a history lesson that no one understands (or even cares about) followed by the latest ‘initiative’ from HR or the marketing department. That’s pretty standard, low-quality corporate meeting design.There is a much better way. Roy will help you explore options to improve engagement and relevance. By being the ‘conscience of your audience’ he will help you design your conference – either directly, or in collaboration with your chosen production company/agency.
Working alongside congress committees, with great sensitivity, Roy opens the eyes and minds of your volunteers to re-invent and re-energise your meetings. Offering low-risk, high value ideas and techniques to bring old-fashioned meetings back to life.
Event Tech Specialist
Webinar Producer and Host
More and more meetings are taking place online. The cost and time savings can be considerable.Some webinars are far more important than others. For those, you are strongly recommended to hire a professional like Roy.eTouches (now Aventri), the global cloud-based conference and congress software solutions company wanted to engage with their biggest global clients; many of whom are global event directors for Fortune 500 companies. Their time is precious. So it was decided to offer a series of online webinars to share the latest technology developments.
Executives do not always present well. Roy often gets asked to coach presenters – either on-site or in the weeks leading up to your conference. Roy is the trainer on this online course “Presentation Skills for Medical Professionals” www.PeoplePortfolio.com
Share your scripts with Roy ahead of your event and he will almost certainly be able to improve them for you.
Video Reporter/Vox Pops
Bring your events and websites alive with engaging videos.Working with your video/TV crew, as a former BBC TV reporter Roy understands how to gain the best insights from your attendees when recording vox-pops. Roy routinely interviews people on video at conferences, Or prior to an event via online screen-capture technology. These videos are often played at the conference. If you don’t have a video crew, Roy can provide his own. If his on-site schedule permits, he can also edit the footage he shoots – all at no extra cost.
As a former BBC radio 4 presenter and reporter (including the Sony award winning “In the News”), and with his own prime-time programmes on LBC talk radio (“Success with Roy Sheppard”) in London, Roy has vast experience delivering broadcast, as well as corporate radio programmes and podcasts.